Change font size
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:30 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Who still uses a single stage press?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:23 pm 

Who still uses a single stage press? I do for one. Simple, accurate, cheap and I get to inspect each and every cartridge. I can load a few hundred in a long evening. That being said, I'm willing to learn new tricks and methods.

Post subject: Re: Who still uses a single stage press?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:24 pm 

I use a single stage press simply for its simplicity. I know exactly where I am in the process at all times which avoids errors. I've only been reloading a short time, so I don't know if I have any tips yet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:12 am 

I couldn't agree more about the usability of the single stage press. I have loaded on one for over 50 years. I love the simplicity if offers. I also love the chance it offers to check each step of the process. I don't shoot comp. so I don't need to load 1000 rounds a ------. It also offers unmatched opportunity for custom loading each round, from powder charge to bullet depth, it can't be better. It is also perfect for working up a load for a new firearm. I can vary the powder charge with each load or every 10 loads if I choose.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:19 pm 

I use a single stage as well I like to clean primer pockets in my rifle ammo as far as pistol a progressive would be nice as I can only load 50 rnd in 45 min with my single stage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:10 pm 

A single stage press works great for the guy or girl who wants a custom load for accuracy and or an inexpensive way to shoot lots of rounds. As said previously single stage allows you to accurately measure powder down to the nats ass if you so wish, check every length and know with a certianty that every load you made will be as close to exact as one previous. Now progressive releaders do have advantages when it comes to mass producing the pistol loads or AR type rifles or even the .223 varmint guy. But with auto loaders or progressive loaders you dont get the "exact" same weights every time you pull the handle. But if you plan on shooting 1000 rounds in a weekend, then "exact" is not what you need.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:11 pm 

I have handloaded for 50+ years with a single stage. I got a Dillon a few years ago and now use both.
Single for rifles and load testing and the Dillon for handguns.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:00 am 

I have to agree with Badnova I load for my Garand and my Savage target .308 on my single stage... LEE :) but there's no way I could afford to have my brain fall out goin step by step for pistol .38,.357 Mag & Max, .45acp and a .30-357 Max wildcat with a Single call me a wuss lol. I know powder is about the most cautious part but ive had great luck with several types of flake powder, ball powders get thrown by hand and dump in into the turret via funnel. Sam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:40 pm 

i just started loading a few years ago i use single stage still i have two set up and one old lee i thing with a six hole turn head on it makes it nice for the dies i use all the time 223 45 would like to get a dillon but still not shure about going that fast yet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:09 pm 

I've been loading only a short time and am looking for input and experience. I use a rock chucker and really am a rookie. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:27 am 

What kind of pointer are you looking for?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]