Change font size
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:28 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: 30-06 Brass
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:35 am 

Question ? Has any one experienced a problem when reloading 30-06 military brass that the RCBS sizing die does not reduce the neck enoough to seat the bullet.

Thank You,
David O.

Post subject: Re: 30-06 Brass
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

The dies probably reduce the neck to the right size. The problem is most likely with the brass. Military brass is usually thicker than other brass. When you pull a normal sized expander back out, it opens the neck up as it would were the brass of the standard thickness, at least that is what I have heard. Even though that doesn't sound right to me, I would think the inside diameter would stay the same. Maybe because of the thickness it is having a harder time crimping it tight. Have you had any problem with non-military brass at all?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:26 am 

The only time I have experienced this problem was with perfectly smooth bullets such as some
Sierra and Speer types. I would find that the recoil would actually drive the bullets back into the cases on the cartridges in the magazine. By changing to bullet with a canelure I solved the problem. You might also try to borrow dies from a fellow reloader and see if that makes a difference. It would be an easy way to see if you have a problem with your dies.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:19 pm 

I've reloaded military '06 brass with RCBS for years and never had a problem.
Some of my brass is from the 1940's through mid 60's match brass.
When loading hunting brass I lube the inside of the necks as well as the outside of the case and then wash and dry them. Low volume loading. I don't know if that makes any difference

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:49 pm 

I've had the exact same problem with my RCBS dies in 30-06 ! I thought it was a fluke but could not figure why or how? All Winchester and Remington brass, I would size a batch charge and drop a bullet on the case to prep for seating and in a few the bullet would just fall in! Hmmm... What now then? lol Sam.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]