Change font size
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:48 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Sage Rat
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:44 pm 

I am planning on going sage rat hunting this year in eastern Oregon, and am looking for places to go. If anyone knows and wants to share locations that do not charge please help a fellow hunter out.

Post subject: Re: Sage Rat
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:10 pm 

What part of eastern Oregon are you going to hunt? There are many place between Bend and Burns that support sage rats. Look for rocky outcroppings and green vegatation. The edges of alfalfa fields are very good for rats but be sure to ask permisson. You can start with rimfire to get the dummies, then bring out the center fire.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:50 pm 

That is just it. I dont have much knowledge in Rat hunting and am open to any areas as long as it doesn't cost to shoot them. I have seen hunters out between Fort Rock and Christmas Valley. I did notice alfalfa field is where all the good action seems to be. I know the season starts when it starts to warm up and till the fields are too tall to see them, and starts back up after harvesting season untill they start hibernation. I would be taking my father which is partialy disambled along so I need an area that is easily accessably. If you could point me or refer me to an area it would much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:44 pm 

The rats are pretty much everywhere, and you will just have to drive BLM land to spot them. Drive east towards Burns out of Bend and then hit the dirt roads looking for rocky outcroppings or rockpiles. There will be rockchucks in the rockpiles and in the same areas as the rats, so you can double your fun. The sides of canyons can also support both rodents so keep a eye out for them there as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:41 pm 

Thank you I still have not made it out yet. Been too busy. Are the animals still out through september??

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]